IRC: Internet Relay Chat with EFnet
The first step to using IRC is to install IRC client software.
EFnet's Help Site is a great place to get software,
instructions, and on-line help: mIRC is a very popular IRC client. Also,
Tucows has a variety of software for Windows
and Macintosh that you can download.
Once you've got the software installed, pick a nickname and connect to
an IRC server. It doesn't really matter which server you choose: just make sure it's EFnet
(that's where the most action is). Once connected, join a channel. There are currently 3 channel for Primus:
- This channel has now gone private, so screw it.
- Discusion channel for real fans. This channel has two bots: GoldenBoy and Sausage
- Discussion about this page. It has a bot named MrKrinkle
Once you're in a channel, you'll see the other people in the room. A '@' means that person is
a channel operator, and controls who's on the channel, etc. Bots are 24-hour programs
that keep the channel from being taken over by some who isn't using the channel properly.
Use these commands to join and leave channels:
- /JOIN <channel> - Join a channel.
- Example: /join #primussucks
- /LEAVE <channel> - Leave a channel.
- Example: /leave #primussucks
Once you're in a channel, here are some basic commands:
- /ME <message> - Tells current channel what you are doing.
- Example: /me Eats a Fart Sandwhich
- /NICK <newnickname> - Changes Your Nickname.
- Example: /nick ButtFace
- /MSG <nickname> <message> - Sends a quick private message to someone.
- Example: /msg JohnTFish You Like Brown Album?
- /QUERY <nickname> [message] - Starts a private converstation with someone.
- Example: /query JohnTFish Watcha doing?
- /INVITE <nickname> <channel> - Invite someone to a channel.
- Example: /invite SugarBaby #primussucks
- /WHOIS <nickname> - Show information about someone.
- Example: /whois JohnTFish
- /AWAY [message] - Tell people why you're away.
- Example: /away Gotta Pee, Man!
- /QUIT [message] - Quit IRC.
- Example: /quit Adios, Amigos!
If you have a @ next to your name, you are the channel operator and can use these commands as well:
- /TOPIC <channel> <new topic> - Give channel new topic.
- Example: /topic #primussucks Have You Ever Heard That Primus Sucks?
- /KICK <nickname> - Kick someone off the channel.
- Example: /kick DickHead